I have already opined to my professors at length about the scheduling issues I am having this semester. Between an unwieldy work schedule and a first-time pregnancy I was struggling to complete the homework for both classes in between work travel and naps. I made the decision to drop my IRLS 671 class, and as much as I labored over the decision I now believe wholeheartedly it was the correct choice. I am quite pleased with the progression of the 675 class, I'm sure for some it may seem a little slow, but I like having the opportunity to pore of the materials before setting upon the actual assignment. I feel like this was a luxury we weren't always afforded with the (understandable) pacing of the summer class.
I have mentioned this in previous posts, but I will be transitioning from the role of admissions counselor to support staff for a major software conversion taking place on the University campus in the spring and summer. This is excellent news for several reasons; the most important being that I am currently on the committee submitting a RFP for an additional software package specifically for the admissions office which will work in concert with the Peoplesoft conversion. I have really enjoyed the articles on CMS selection as I am finding a great deal of overlap in my classes and my worklife and admittedly some of the reading have helped shape the format of the RFP and I'm sure will play a role in decision making process as well.
I'm also enjoying the coursework because I feel it supplements a lot of the information covered in my MLS. I find that the readings on more than one occasion have caused me to go into my SIRLS class archives and locate an assignment that forged a connection between the classes. There is always the fear of the mental "bit rot" once your education is finished and I feel like these classes are assisting in keeping my MLS information fresh until such time I can't put my skills to work in a library career.
Monday, September 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment