Tuesday, September 09, 2008

My collection

I worked for a used bookstore throughout my undergraduate career. I had always been a reader but my actual passion for reading developed through a love affair with the writings of Kurt Vonnegut. I understand that this is not an unusual passion for an undergraduate student (or bookstore employee) to have but I still feel this would the perfect subject for my collection. School, employment, and life in general has prevented me from getting reaquainted for Mr. Vonnegut for a number of years so I feel as though it will add special meaning to the project. Lucky for me Kurt was not only an author, but also a lecturer, artist, essayist, and incredibly photogenic. That being said my collection consists of;

5 pictures of Vonnegut
5 images of Vonnegut artwork
3 artist renderings of Vonnegut
An interview with Vonnegut
An interview with Vonnegut's son
and 5 images of the book jackets of Vonneguts work

I enjoyed Shirky's essay on ontology. I feel like this whole notion sort of falls in line with the "bookstore organization" debate of libraries. It comes down to the fundamental question of "for whom do we classify?" Access is an important issue but so in consistency - additionally classifications schemes need to be fluid and allow for growth ...what is the junction between organization and modernization?

No comments: