Monday, July 21, 2008

Week 9 reading....

I really enjoyed the technology planning section of this course. Not only was it a nice break from the technical aspects of our courses it is a timely lesson for me as I will be assisting my office as the point person a major software conversion.

I liked learning about the necessary aspects of a detailed technology plan in addition feeling like I've gained a better understanding of all the apsects involved in the evolution and maintenance of library technologies. As mentioned in the Dugan article, "Managing Technology" too often technologies in libraries are largely considered for the "housekeeping" benefits made available to the library. I find in my SIRLS classes we spend a lot of time discussing the patron service benefits of technology; I found the readings this week helped bridge the information between the two.

I would have to say my favorite reading was Schuyler's article "Life is what happens" and his plea for a more simple, flexible, and peer reviewed program for implementing technology plans. I work in an educational setting and I find that often a lot of planning issues arise from the disconnect between the people making the theoretical decisions and the people who will ultimately be involved in the "hands on" development of the programs.

From the sociological standpoint I also appreciated the "What haven't you noticed lately" and the discussion on the role sociological changes should play in the decision to implement technological changes in a library. It's very easy to get excited about new technology but what must be considered in implemenation is the abilities of staff and patrons to adapt, accomodate, and ultimately become reliant on the new "tools".

Finally, I really enjoyed reading and comparing the state plans after learning about what in involved in the development. This week's readings helped me to appreciate that while the Kansas State Library plan is suprisingly developded in the desire to cater to rural areas with new technologies, it was exceedingly lacking in planning for staff and patron development.

No comments: