Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I want to be a Linux expert....NOW

After reading two articles by David Bretthauer documenting the history of Open Source Software and the use of Open Source Software in libraries (see attached) I am excited to get started using Linux. It seems to me that the purpose of OSS is perfectly aligned with the innate principles of the library – keeping information accessible. I understand the place and have benefited from the ease of use of proprietary software but I do often feel feel frustrated with the lack of flexibility of this software and often what feels like a complete lack of common sense in the software design. (I’m looking at you Vista) More than once I have joked that what has been packaged and advertised as a finished product still operates like a first generation beta test. Very very annoying.

I think the adoption of OSS systems in libraries mirrors the habits of the professional librarian. When one thinks about it, it’s certainly a natural fit with the crop of MLS students graduating from programs throughout the country. The rule of thumb in my house is if we have a question about something, anything really the first place we head is message boards. If you think about it message boards are the digital equivalent of the community reference librarian. I love the notion that by getting my hands on Linux I’m officially being indoctrinated into a true information democracy.

No comments: